Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A day in Ooty park.


Mum has her brother-in-law Pat Burke to her right with Dave in front of him, and my cousin Ronnie is standing behind me. This was taken in 1967 when we had had one of our many days out in Ootacamund (Ooty). We would usually always end up in the huge park there (as in the photo),and would while away the rest of the hot day with a picnic or the adults would 'rest their eyes' whilst Dave and I used up our endless energy playing.  But mostly we would go to Ooty for a horse ride.  The horses would be brought to us on the street from goodness knows where as I never once saw them stabled.  One time when I refused to ride a heavily pregnant mare, another horse which was loose and grazing by the roadside, was caught and tacked up for me.  I still wonder even today if it was even their horse!  But only aged 11, I was just so keen to be around horses and just wanted to ride one whenever I could.
Pat was Doris's husband and they had 2 daughters, Patricia and Pamela.  Pat owned and managed a tea plantation, but came to England later on and was a good friend of Dad's.  In her earlier years, Doris had her own hairdressing business.
 Ronnie was the son of another of Mum's sisters, Norine.  She married Noel and they also had a daughter Noeline.  They divorced and Norine later met and lived with a man I only ever knew as 'Doc Martin' (no not Martin Clunes!)  Sadly all have passed away now except Ronnie who I think is living in Australia?

5 comments:

  1. So that’s where all my energy went!

    You have a good memory Anne for the things we did as children. As children, you must have the best memory of being in India. Do you ever catch a certain smell, as I was saying in another comment, like burning wood or sometimes when I’ve been near a steam train (we’re not that far from Haverthwaite Railway station) it takes me straight back to India. Did we ever travel on the Nilgiris Mountain Railway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean with the 'smell' thing Dave and especially wood smoke. Takes me back to when the meals were being cooked outside at Joville in that outbuilding with the woodburning stove. Also the picnics on Tiger Hill with the stackable billy-cans full of curry, rice, chapatis etc.
    When we travelled to Ooty we would mostly use the Nilgiris railway as I suffered less with travel sickness that way. There wasn't any window panes and as the train became so packed with people, they would cling to the window frames from the OUTSIDE of the train, and the rest would sit on the roof! I think Mum preferred a taxi or even the bus...but I would always have to take my companion then - the paper bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I was there too with My Mum,Tilly.
    I was 10 when we met in India.
    When I get a wiff of diesel from the country trains I think of India, That was the same time Grandad died.
    My daughter ,Nicki and I are going to India in October and Mum wants us to visit Joville,but i think it will be very hard to find.xx Judy Hopping

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about getting a smell and thinking of India.... I’ve done that my whole life... burning wood, steam from a train and spices... and maybe diesel too?!

    Cousin Tricia (Patricia Robson) went to India and visited Joville... you should ask her for directions!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you remember chasing me with a snake on a stick Judy? Whenever your name is mentioned I always think of the snake on the stick!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome from everyone who visits this blog, from family & friends and anyone who is interested in Port Sunlight or India or just enjoys looking at old photographs!

To leave a comment just type what you want in the comments box. When you have finished, you will need to select a profile before you can submit your comment. If you are signed up with Google, or any of the other accounts listed, then select your account and sign in and you can then submit your comment.

Alternatively, you can select Name/URL and type your name and if you want you can also add your website address if you have one. You can also comment anonymously if you want?! Just select Anonymous from the list.

When you have selected your profile, you can then click Publish. If you are not a contributor to this blog, then all comments are moderated first, before they are published.

Thanks.
David.